January 6, 2015
In Support of Teesta Setalvad, Javed Anand and othersWe are deeply shocked and outraged by the continuing attempts of the Modi government and the Gujarat police to somehow implicate the human rights lawyers and activists, Teesta Setalvad, Javed Anand along with three victim survivors of the state sponsored carnage in Gujarat in 2002 on patently trumped up charges.
This is another attempt to derail justice particularly Zakia Jafri’s appeal which is now before the Gujarat High Court where she has accused the then Gujarat chief minister, Narendra Modi, the home minister of Gujarat along with 59 others which include top politicians, civil servants of conspiracy for mass murder and other serious crimes.
It is extremely significant that the amicus curiae appointed by the Supreme Court, Mr. Raju Ramachandran has told the apex court there was enough prima facie evidence to prosecute Shri Modi.
Teesta Setalvad and Javed Anand are being specially targeted since they are among the founding members of Citizens for Justice and Peace(CJP) which has been leading the struggle for justice for the victims and survivors of the Gujarat carnage. The CJP has won significant victories in the struggle for justice for the victim-survivors of the Gujarat pogrom.
Equally condemnable is the hounding in the same alleged “cheating” case, of three office bearers of Gulberg Housing Society, Ahmedabad, each of whom lost several family members when police watched as frenzied mobs attacked their colony on February 27, 2002. Among them is Tanvir Jafri whose father and former Congress MP, Ehsan Jafri was mercilessly butchered along with 68 others.
Teesta Setalvad and others have rebutted the charges in affidavits filed in courts. They have also charged the Gujarat police of spreading falsehood.
As citizens committed to the Rule of Law, we denounce the vengeful action of the Modi government and the Gujarat police, and demand immediate withdrawal of the motivated and baseless FIR against Teesta Setalvad, Javed Anand, Tanvir Jafri and the office-bearers of the Gulberg Society.
- Dipak Malik, Hon. Director, Gandhian Institute of Studies
- Kashinath Singh, Renowned Story Writer
- Shri Vibhutinarain Rai (IPS), Ex.. DGP, U.P & VC MGHVD , Wardha-
- Rooprekha Verma, Ex. VC Lucknow University-
- Chauthiram Yadav, Deptt. of Hindi, BHU
- Vivekdas, Mahant Kabir Math-
- Vasanthi Raman, CWDS
- Sandeep Pandey, Magsaysay Awardee & Social Activist
- Qamarjahan, Ex. HOD Deptt. of Urdu BHU
- Swati, Samajvadi Jan Parishad
- Neeti bhai, Gen. Sec. Lok Chetna Samiti
- Anand, Director, Vishwa Jyoti Sanchar Kendra
- Anand Deepayan, Deppt. of Geography BHU
- Sanjay Srivastava, Gen. Sec. Progressive Writer’s Association
- Haji Ishtiyaq, Gen. Sec. Sir Syed Society
- Chandrakant, Director, Maitree Bhawan
- Vallabhacharya Pande, Asha Trust
- M.Yasin, Jt. Sec. Anjum-E-Entezamia Masajid
- Lenin Raghuvanshi, Director, PVCHR
- Neeta Chobey, Samajvadi Janparishad
- Nandlal Master, Lok Samiti
- Mehdi Bakhat, Principal, BBS
- Shruti Nagwanshi, Sec. Savitri bhaee Phule Org.
- Virendra Yadav, Distt. Coordinator, IPF
- Muniza R. Khan, Act. Registrar, GIS
Gandhian Institute of Studies Campus